"In one case out of a hundred, a point is excessively discussed because it is obscure; in the ninety-nine remaining it is obscure because it is excessively discussed." By Edgar Allen Poe.
This quote clearly signifies the importance of discussion which ultimately thereby leads to decision making. Submit Resume
Let's first understand the literal meaning of "group discussion". A group is a number of people or things that are gathered, or classed together. The action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas is referred to as a discussion. A group discussion is, therefore, a healthy interaction or a conversation or debate about a specific topic. India's largest job portal in India.
Importance of a group discussion-
1. Able to think critically.
2. Get different approaches to solve the problem.
3. Get more confident in speaking.
4. See things from various perspectives.
5. Gives a deeper understanding of subjects.
6. Develops team spirit.
7. Development of leadership quality.
8. Develops decision-making skills.
Rules of group discussion-
1. Preparation- before going for a group discussion prepare well. Go for current affairs and cover probable topics up to a thorough extent.
2. Get to know the participants- Pay keen attention and jot down the names of the participants while they are introducing themselves. It will make you appear more attentive and show your quality of observing while listening. It will also help you to directly grab the other participant's attention.
3. Body language- It signifies your personality, your attitude and your professional behaviour.
4. Take charge- This will show your leadership quality. It is advised to initiate and conclude the discussion for standing out.
5. Keep calm- Try not to be aggressive. Try to be empathetic and put up your point if you disagree when the other participant pauses to take a breath.
6. Good listening skills- be a good listener to be able to comprehend the other participant’s statement and add something to the conversation or to contradict his/her statement.
7. Improve communication skills- have a good vocabulary and a decent command over English.
8. Make multiple entries- Don't just be a passive listener. Put up your points. And try to get into the conversation after 4 or 5 participants have spoken up.
A group discussion keeping a person's calm and not going fierce is really important as 'Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.' Moreover, A lively discussion is usually helpful, because the hottest fire makes the hardest steel..